04 November 2009

The Grass Is Greener

Today I got to be on the other side of the fence for once. I recently interviewed for a part-time job with a local plaintiff's firm. The firm placed an ad with School of Law specifically requesting a current law student. During the interview, the partners basically told me they were looking for someone to do data entry 25 hours a week. Two questions:

1. Why are you trying to get a law student to do data entry?

I actually asked them if they thought I would learn anything about their practice and they said: Well, you would learn how important it is to have good data entry. So that's a no.

I don't mind a little administrative work. Actually, I've done it many times before. But you don't need a law student to do that for you. It may sound pretentious, but don't waste my time--I need to learn legal practical skills, not how to use Excel.

2. What law student has 25 hours a week to devote to anything?

Again, you do not need a law student to do this work. I don't even have time to study for 25 hours a week (unless you're the Dean of School of Law, in which case I study 50 hour s a week and you should give me a scholarship). I had to hold back in the interview from recommending the firm try to recruit a part time fashion merchandising student for this job. That's who has 25 hours a week.

On the other hand, the partners were very nice and up front with me. They could have lied to me about the position and then blindsided me with the data-entry-job-from-hell. So I appreciate that.

Nonetheless, when they called to offer me the job today, it was extremely therapeutic after the many rejections I have endured to be able to thank them for their employment offer and gracefully TURN. IT. DOWN.

LegalEase: 1
Law Firms: 234

But hey, 1 is a start!

0 comments:

Post a Comment