30 October 2009

Role Reversal

Earlier this semester I befriended an LLM student at a law school social event. She was a cool girl and I felt a lot of sympathy for her since she came to study here from another country. I remember what it was like to be the lonely foreign kid, so I was happy to include her in our group. (Nobel Peace Prize nomination forms available here) In fact, I kept inviting her out after that, but she never responded.

No matter, due in large part to my megalomaniacal tendencies, I've been giving myself a three-month pat on the back for being such a kind and gracious person. Seriously, I've been secretly congratulating myself for weeks on the great strides I've clearly made international relations. (I'm just saying, there might already be a self nomination for the Nobel...You'll notice on the site there's no modesty requirement) Despite my ever-growing popularity among my peers I remain a champion for the meek! An advocate for the lonely! A...

Fast forward.

Today I was at lecture on campus from a World Bank VP. I knew no one there. There was seriously like a 30 foot radius between me and the closest student in the room. To the speaker, it probably looked like the entire classroom had taken out a restraining order on me. In the mean time, my poor, lonely, charity case LLM student was surrounded by pals. I'm sure if she had seen me she would have invited me over to sit with her, but she looked so cool and foreign and exotic I doubt she even noticed I was there.



Who's the lonely foreign kid now?

1 comments:

Epicurean Vixen said...

Pobrecita!!! Maybe you should give the being a bitch and carrying a louis vuitton thing a try. Also, can you please say something about the turtles?

Post a Comment