23 October 2008

Celebrating Mediocrity

There was a time when I regarded the word "Adequate" with disdain. I preferred to be described as "great," "above and beyond," or "mentally stable." But those days are gone. After my legal writing professor told us today that nearly everyone received a "needs substantial improvement" on our most recent research submission, I all but revelled in the glowing review that my paper warranted: ADEQUATE.

Ladies and gentleman, there's hope for me yet. According to Webster's Thesaurus, I am "decent, enough, satisfactory, acceptable, all right, average, common, decent, fair, fairish, goodish, moderate, passable, tolerable, and OK!" GOODISH? THAT'S AWESOME!

I haven't been this content to doggy paddle my way through life since my first swim lesson. (Side note: A lifeguard once tried to save my life while I was "swimming." I like to think of the incident as a clever tactic on my part. As long as my metaphorical attempts to swim look deadly, no one in my classes will ever suspect I'm the one ruining the curve.)

Here's to hoping I don't drown before the semester is over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment