30 July 2010

Woman in a Man's World

I've been working with two others on document review for a partner this entire week. It's been miserable and he knows it. He told us he would "take us out drinking" to thank us for our dedication to the project. I wasn't really interested, but of course I would have gone to make a good impression and be a team player. Apparently yesterday he came in to our office right after I left for the day and asked if we could go right then. So the two men I work with went, and I had no idea about any of it. I only found out this morning because the another clerk, who was not on the project, let it slip. That made me feel even worse, because I realized the two guys I've been toiling with all week probably just weren't going to tell me at all. Awesome.

I mean, I didn't really want to go anyway, but it still stings a little bit. It's not a big deal and I know it wasn't intentional, but it's these unintentional, little slights that make me worry I will feel like an outsider for my whole career.

I guess I'd better steel my feelings and get over it, it's a long road ahead.

Post Script: The partner told Curtis he would have his assistant, Candy, take me and the other female clerk to lunch sometime. To make it up to us. Thanks.

1 comments:

Reconstructing said...

:( I would probably be freaked out. Even if it wasn't a "gender thing" it was rude of the partner/coworkers. They could have waited or at least casually mentioned it to you.

Post a Comment