08 June 2010

Since I love to sabotage myself...

This weekend I went to a firm party at a partner's lake house.
And introduced myself to an attorney I've already met. (You know, just one of the TEN attorneys in my office.)

Thereafter, I tried to sink in to the ground or disappear in to thin air, but to no avail. I mostly just apologized and covered my face in my hands while he stared at me looking incredulous and dejected. 

Perhaps I should have followed up by asking him to go find me a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon. (Now!)

I think this is what they call "putting your best foot forward." I'll let you know when I get the job offer. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally feel your pain. Last summer I confused two people I'd both of whom I'd met only once and very briefly. They looked very similar and the brief encounters made it worse.

Anyway, at firm event I referred to one as the other and was immediately notified of my mistake. I felt horrible. Like wanted to disappear. Worse, it was at an event involving alcohol so even though I WAS NOT drunk (I wasn't even drinking) I probably looked like I did.

WORSE - the person seemed like totally offended and later I needed to work with him and the experience was terrible. He ultimately gave me a good review but I think he was kinda difficult on purpose.

The whole summer associate gig is such a pain in the ass. So much pressure. So much putting up appearances. It will be ok. Just keep a smile on, schmooze, and work hard. You'll be fine!

TDot said...

I've never been a summer associate so I'm not sure if firm life is any different, but if it's anything like when I worked in lobbying the guy will probably have forgotten entirely within a day.

If it's still awkward, just find a way to make a running gag out of it with them :)

Post a Comment